The origins of Yerba Mate come from the Guaraní natives, who used its leaves as a drink and currency in their exchanges with other prehistoric cultures.
It grows in the north of Argentina, Paraguay, and south of Brazil. Each region has its own preference in terms of the type of yerba, temperature of water and different ways of preparing and drinking Yerba Mate. Generalizing, in Brazil and North of Argentina people usually use a big mate gourd, whereas in Uruguay, South of Argentina and Chile it is more common to drink from a small mate.
A typical Yerba Mate gourd made from the hollowed and dried end of a calabash squash. These gourds appear to be the most traditional way of drinking Yerba Mate. Drinking Yerba Mate is not just about the taste or its invigorating effect. There is a special ritual of hospitality and friendship that surrounds the daily act of sharing Yerba Mate tea in a circle.
Fun Fact: In Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and southern Brazil, Yerba Mate is consumed six times as frequently as coffee!
- Can make your own Yerba Mate Face Scrub! Yerba mate is packed with nearly 200 bio-actives. This densely nutritious plant feeds your skin with antioxidants, minerals, amino acids, and moisture. Combine Yerba Mate, Flax Meal, Honey and Olive Oil, the mixture can be ready within 10 minutes!
Yerba Mate can be made in many different ways depending on who you follow, we find one of the easiest ways is as follows:
1. Add the yerba leaves to the container until it is around just over half full.
2. Lightly shake and tilt the gourd so that the leaves coat the sides and mix. By moving the leaves, you should bring the most powdery to the top which will help you avoid sucking them up through the bombilla!
3. Keep the gourd at an angle so most of the leaves are gathered on one side.
4. Add a little cold water and allow time for it to be absorbed. This will help the flavour begin to develop.
5. Put the bombilla in at an angle, filter at the bottom. Do not move it around as you fill the container.
6. Top up the gourd with hot water. Never use boiling water for mate. The ideal temperature is between 70-80 degrees Celsius.
7. Drink from the bombilla until you have consumed the entire drink.
This product traveled 1 km to reach our warehouse.
Organic , GMO Free , Gluten Free , Nut Free , Vegan/Dairy Free
Disclaimer: The product information on this website may not be 100% accurate. Please ensure to check the product packaging information before consumption, especially if you have allergies or other health conditions.