Sweet Rice Flour is the secret weapon everyone needs to know about for their gluten-free kitchens. Despite the name, this flour is not sweet and acts more like starch in baking and adds moisture and a sponge-like texture.
Also known as Glutinous Rice Flour, Mochiko, Mifen, or Galapong, this flour is made by grinding polished Californian glutinous milled rice. The term glutinous refers to the stickiness of this high starch Asian rice variety. Rather, this rice has a much higher starch content than other kinds of rice, making it an extremely efficient thickening agent for sauces or binder for things like mochi and noodles.
Sweet Rice Flour is naturally gluten-free. Sweet Rice Flour will soon become the most indispensable flour in gluten-free kitchens. It has a unique starchy content that becomes chewy and stretchy when cooked and so is an excellent mimic for the elastic properties of gluten.
This flour is commonly used for baking Japanese Mochi and Hawaiian Butter Mochi desserts but there are so many ways to incorporate Sweet Rice Flour in cooking. Here are some tips to get started:
- Use it to thicken soups and sauces
- Add it to baking to bind ingredients
- Adds a great spongey texture to gluten-free bread, cakes, and muffins
- Due to its lack of flavour, Sweet Rice Flour is great when used in delicately flavoured desserts like angel food cake or sugar cookies
- Experiment by making gluten-free flour with Sweet Rice Flour as part of a blend with potato starch, sorghum flour, and xanthan gum
- Use it to make a batter for fried chicken, fish, or vegetables
Reduce the flour, whether all-purpose or a gluten-free blend, in favourite cake, cookie, or muffin recipes by 15 percent and replace it with Sweet Rice Flour.
Use 100 percent, Sweet Rice Flour, to replace all-purpose flour or cornstarch when breading fried foods or preparing a roux.
This product traveled 1 km to reach our warehouse.
Local , Vegan/Dairy Free , Wheat Free
Disclaimer: The product information on this website may not be 100% accurate. Please ensure to check the product packaging information before consumption, especially if you have allergies or other health conditions.