Avalon Dairy (Valley Pride) is the oldest operating dairy in BC. It began in 1898, when Jeremiah Crowley traveled from the small town of Western Bay, Newfoundland to Vancouver for the gold rush. By the time Crowley reached Vancouver the gold rush was over, but he was so impressed with Vancouver, that he returned to Newfoundland to bring his family back to settle there permanently.
In 1906 the Crowley family purchased a house on Wales St., which came with 5 cows. From this, they built up Avalon Dairy. In the same year Jeremiah purchased acreage at 5805 Wales, which is the present location of the Dairy. The farm house that was built for the Crowley family 1908 is still in use today.
Avalon Dairy is certified through PACS (Pacific Agricultural Certifying Society #16011).