Chewy Cardamom Scented Ginger and Molasses Cookies
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 5 black cardamom pods
- 1 cup sugar + 1/2 cup of sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter (12 tbsp / 1.5 sticks)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of bread flour
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. To infuse rolling sugar with cardamom: Combine the cardamom pods and ½ cup of sugar in a jar with a lid. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Remove cardamom pods from the jar of sugar. Crack open pods and remove seeds, crushing seeds with a mortar and pestle. Set these aside.
3. To infuse the butter with cardamom: Over low-medium heat, melt butter in a saucepan. Add the cardamom pods to the butter, letting them simmer until you see the butter begins to foam. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes, then remove pods and discard.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, spices, crushed cardamom seeds, and pepper.
5. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and 1 cup of sugar. Add molasses and egg, then gradually add in dry ingredients until combined. Cover this mixture, and refrigerate for at least two hours.
6. . When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Scoop tablespoons of batter and form into balls. Roll in the infused sugar before setting it onto the baking sheet two inches apart.
8. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes.