Savoury Oatmeal with Sauteed Mushrooms, Spinach and Egg
If you’re looking for a way to reduce your sugar intake, and needing a healthy dose of protein and fibre in the morning--look no further. Savoury oats are the heart-healthy superpower you have been waiting for to keep your appetite at bay until lunch time.
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1 cup wheat free rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces mixed mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Minced cilantro, for serving
- Pepper, for serving
- Scallions. chopped
1. In a large saucepan, boil 2 cups of water. When you've got a boil, add the oats, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until fully cooked (about 10 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, set a medium sized skillet onto medium heat. Warm 1 ½ tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the scallions and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often until the scallions start to soften. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms start to soften and brown, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the spinach and tamari sauce. Cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat.
3. In a small skillet set over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil. Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your liking.
4. Meanwhile, divide the oats between two bowls. Top with the mushroom-spinach mixture and drizzle with the sesame oil and additional tamari sauce. Top each bowl with a fried egg and garnish with the cilantro and pepper.