Balsam Fir Simple Syrup
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 clove, lightly crushed
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1.2 cup Balsam Fir, or other edible coniferous needles (You can also use White Pine, Spruce, or Douglas Fir)
1. In a medium to large saucepan, bring the granulated and brown sugar, as well as the water, to a boil. Stir frequently.
2. Once the mixture is at a rolling boil, remove from heat and add in the remaining ingredients. Let steep until the mixture has cooled completely, or overnight if possible. Stir occasionally to combine flavours.
3. When finished steeping, strain your syrup through a cheesecloth-lined mesh strainer into a bottle.
4. This syrup should stay good for a few months if refrigerated!