Easy Homemade Wheat Bread
Nothing beats homemade bread!
This is a great no-fuss recipe that is as delicious as it is easy to make. You may never buy bread again..
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup millet
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water (get it the same temperature you would a bath, about 110F) with yeast, then let these ingredients set for 5 minutes to get foamy. Once done, add salt and flours and stir. You should have a rough, sticky dough.
2. Remove the dough from the bowl while you lightly grease the bowl with olive oil. Place your dough back into the greased bowl and cover with a cloth or plastic wrap. Let rise in the refrigerator for two hours, or in a warm place for one hour.
3. After one hour, your dough should have doubled in size. Lightly sprinkle the dough with flour and transfer to a generously floured work surface. Adding flour as needed, knead the dough a few times. Then add oats and millet in batches. Keep kneading until grains have been worked in, and the dough is no longer sticky.
4. Place your dough on a lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle a light coating of flour over the top to help keep the dough moist. Let sit for 45-60 minutes.
5. Preheat your oven to 450°F and place a metal or cast iron pan (avoid glass, Pyrex, or ceramic) on the lowest oven rack, and prepare 1 cup of hot water.
6. When oven is hot, slash the bread 2 or 3 times with a knife, making each cut about 1/2 -inch deep.
7. Place bread in oven and carefully pour hot water into a shallow pan on the rack beneath. Quickly close your oven door.
8. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the loaf is brown and crusty.
9. Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a rack. Once fully cooled, store leftovers in a plastic bag at room temperature.