Somalian Cambuulo (Rice with Adzuki Beans in Spicy Tomato Sauce)
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1 cup long grain Basmati rice
- 1 cup cooked adzuki beans or any kind of lentils
- 400g can of diced tomatoes or 6 fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder or chili flakes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced finely
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of water
1. In a medium pot, cover the rice with one and a half cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil, then cover the pot and cook over low heat until the rice is done (approximately 15 minutes). When rice is finished cooking, mix in cooked adzuki beans and set aside.
2. To make the tomato sauce, begin by sauteing the onions in the sesame oil until translucent and fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Add the diced tomato, tomato paste, and chili and cook for 5 minutes. Add water to prevent the sauce from drying out. It should have a thick, soup-like consistency. Add the white vinegar and lemon juice, then simmer everything together for about 5 minutes.
3. To serve, spoon the cambuulo into each bowl. Spoon the tomato sauce over the cambuulo. Garnish with diced tomatoes, or fried onions if desired.