Vegan Banh Mi Sandwiches with Tofu
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- Vegetable oil, for the pan
- 1 14 oz. package of extra firm tofu
- Fresh baguette, sliced into sandwich sized portions
- Vegan mayo
- Cilantro, few sprigs per sandwich
- Sriracha hot sauce
- For the pickled veggies:
- 2 small carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 small daikon, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 a small cucumber, de-seeded and sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- Few pinches of sugar
- Few pinches of salt
- For the tofu marinade:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Juice of 1/2 lime, plus a little zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- Fresh cracked pepper
1. Make the pickled vegetables ahead of time. Place thinly sliced daikon, carrots, cucumbers, and jalapenos in a jar with white wine vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. If the liquids don’t cover all of the veggies, add 2 tablespoons of water, plus a little more vinegar. Let chill for at least an hour (the further ahead of time you are able to make these, the more pickled they will be.
2. Remove tofu from package and drain excess water. Slice tofu into slices that are about ½ inch thick. Place in paper towel and pat dry to remove excess water.
3. Add tofu to a shallow pan, and pour marinade over top. Flip tofu pieces so that everything gets coated. Let the tofu marinate for at least 15 minutes.
4. Over medium heat, add oil to a large pan. Place tofu pieces into pan once oil is hot, making sure not to let them touch each other. Cook pieces for a few minutes on each side until all pieces have a crispy, golden crust. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Build sandwiches with mayo, tofu slices, pickled veggies, cilantro, and serve with sriracha.