Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large jalepeno chile, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 tabelspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped (or spinach)
- Bread, for dipping
- Fresh parsley or coriander, for garnish
- Hummus, to serve
- 8-12 large eggs
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions for 5-10 minutes, or until translucent. Add bell peppers and jalapeno, then continue cooking until softened (about 3-5 minutes). Stir in garlic and tomato paste, then continue to saute for an additional two minutes.
2. Add tomatoes to skillet, slowly. Add the bay leaf, sugar, salt, paprika, cumin, pepper, and caraway, stirring to combine all ingredients. Let mixture simmer for 20 minutes, then layer the Swiss chard leaves over top.
3. Crack eggs into the tomato mixture. Cover and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until you can see the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent.
4. Serve with fresh bread for dipping, hummus, and fresh parsley or coriander for garnish!