Baked Stuffed Onions
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 6 medium yellow onions
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 head garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 medium potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms
- 3 tbsp white wine
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. With aluminum foil, wrap the head of garlic and cook it in the oven for about 40 minutes until soft. Remove from heat. Once cool enough to handle, cut off the garlic head and squeeze out the flesh into a bowl.
2. Cut off the top of each onion, unpeeled, then wrap each bulb in aluminum foil. Cook for about 1.5 hours until soft.
3. Remove from heat. Once cool enough to handle, peel and remove the skins. From the centre of the onion, take out all of the inner layers, leaving only two outer layers as shell.
4. Take about 1 cup of onion flesh in a food processor with basil, 1 tsp salt, garlic, and 1/8 black pepper. Puree, set aside.
5. Peel potatoes then cut into cubes. Cook them in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes until tender.
6. Mash up the potatoes and add in pureed onion mixture.
7. In a pan over medium heat, saute mushrooms with the remaining 1 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper until tender. Transfer to a bowl. Roughly chop up the remaining onion flesh before adding it into the mushroom mixture.
8. Stuff onion shells with potato and mushroom fillings, alternatingly.
9. Add wine to the baking dish and bake the stuffed onions for 30 minutes until golden and soft.