A vegan omelette? Mind blown.
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
- 1+1/12tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1+1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3 cups spinach or kale
- salt + pepper to taste
- In a mug or small bowl, combine the flax and warm water. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic, parsley and turmeric. Mix well.
- Add the flax/water mixture to the flour. Add the water, ½ cup at a time. Whisk until smooth. You want the batter to be loose and pourable but not water-thin.
- Let sit for about 20 minutes while you prepare the filling.
Making the Omelette
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion to the pan and cook until it becomes softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine everything.
- Add the spinach in bunches, adding more as it wilts down.
- Add the salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Heat a 9-inch frying pan over medium heat. Spray the skillet with cooking spray.
- When the pan is hot, add 1/3 cup of the batter to the center of the skillet. Using your wrist, turn the skillet to spread the batter until it covers the whole skillet.
- If you need more batter, add a bit more, but you want an even layer of batter in the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the batter cook for about 5 minutes. This will allow the batter to steam and solidify.
- Remove the cover and spray some more oil around the edges of the omelette.
- Leave the lid off and let cook another 5 minutes. This will allow the omelette to crisp at the edges and the sides will lift off the pan with a thin spatula.
- When you can lift the sides without the omelette sticking, carefully move the spatula under the omelette and flip it.
- Let the omelette cook on this side for 5 minutes. While it’s cooking, add a few tbsp of filling to one half of the omelette.
- Add vegan cheese on top of the spinach/mushrooms filling. Carefully lift and fold the other half of the omelette onto the half with the vegetables. Press it down gently to melt the cheese.
- Cook for another minute or two and carefully slide the omelette onto a plate.