Vegan Shortbread - Holiday
These cookies are a snap to whip up, and will have everyone clamoring for the recipe. Best of all, no one will believe they're vegan.
You can add whatever flavouring you want! I've tried matcha (just by adding 2 tsp of matcha powder) and mandarin orange (by adding the zest of an orange with the sugar, and subbing 2 tbsp of juice for the water).
Perfect for holiday entertaining!
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil (somewhat solid, but not hard)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp water
- Add coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, and water to a bowl and beat using an electric or stand mixer on high until everything is creamed together and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour with a large spoon or spatula. Use your hands to knead it together until the flour is fully mixed in. The dough will be pretty soft (depending on the softness of the coconut oil when you started), but if it's too runny you can add a little more flour.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a piece of parchment paper and place the dough on top. Using your hands, form the dough into a log about 1 - 2 inches in diameter. It will be too soft to roll. Wrap the paper tightly around the log, and gently transfer it to the fridge. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350
- When the dough is firm enough to slice, remove it from the fridge and unwrap it. Slice it into 1/3 inch thick slices. Place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet about an inch apart from each other.
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Place cookies on a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely. Once cool, cookies may be stored in an airtight container.