Eggplant and Mushroom Pasta
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1 organic eggplant, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 organic leek, sliced
- 2 or 3 dried chilies (optional)
- 1/3 pound organic mushrooms
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 8 ounces penne or other pasta
- Handful of chopped spinach, for garnish (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
Put oil in a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and stir once or twice, until it sizzles. Add leek, chilies, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leek softens and eggplant and mushrooms brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add sugar with ¼ cup water and cook, stirring, until eggplant is soft and brown. Turn off heat. Stir in soy sauce; taste, and adjust seasoning. Toss with cooked pasta. Garnish with spinach and serve.
An easy way to cook eggplant for a weekday dinner. Leave out the chilis if you don't like spicy food.