Caramelized Fennel and Onions for Hot Dogs
Caramelized onions are a big part of most burger joints, burger stands or hot dog stands. The fennel adds a little extra body to the taste and goes especially well with smokies. One alternative to the 3rd step is to move the onions and fennel to a pot in a double-boiler setup, or into a sealed metal container in a larger pot partly filled with water to keep cooking over a slightly higher - but less dry - temperature. You could also add a little sugar for extra caramelization if you would like.
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and fennel, stir to coat with oil.
- Once onions begin to go transparent, add salt. Let the veggies caramelize for the next 10 minutes, stirring often to cook evenly and prevent burning.
- Reduce the heat to just below medium low, and leave for 40 min or more. Make sure to stir often, so they don't burn. If they start drying out add a very small splash of water (or beer, if you are enjoying one).