Spiced Vegan Lentil Soup
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can of (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh collard greens or kale, stems removed
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 full medium lemon
1. In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. When oil becomes hot, add the chopped onions and carrots, stirring often until onions become translucent (about 5 minutes). Add garlic, cumin, curry powder, and thyme, continuing to stir often for about 30 seconds. Add drained diced tomatoes, and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
2. Add lentils, broth, and water to the pot. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and a generous seasoning of black pepper. Turn heat up to high to bring soup to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cover for 30 minutes, or until lentils have become tender.
3. Transfer two cups of the soup to a blender, but be careful not to burn yourself. Use a tea towel to protect your hands and puree the soup until smooth. Pour the pureed soup back into the stock pot, and stir. Then add chopped greens, and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with more lemon, salt, and pepper until flavour is to your liking. Serve immediately, or save for up to 4 days in the fridge, or several months in the freezer.