Vegan Banana Cake with Buttercream Frosting
Another fail-safe recipe from our resident vegan, Susan.
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 2 1/3 cups of organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas
- 2/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup of cashew milk
- 3 Tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon warm water
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- VEGAN BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 3 Tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 Tablespoons cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 bag of sifted vegan icing sugar
1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour one 13” x 9” x 2” inch pan or two 9” round pans.
2. Put the 3 tablespoons of ground flax meal in the ½ cup plus 1 T. of warm water.
3. Put 1 T. vinegar in measuring cup and add cashew milk up to the 2/3 cup mark and set both aside while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
4. With a hand mixer, mix all wet ingredients in a bowl, then add them to the dry ingredients. I blended all dry ingredients in a separate bowl before adding them to the wet ones though the original recipe doesn’t call for that separation. Beat all ingredients on low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 seconds. Continue beating on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s).
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean; rectangle pan approx. 45-50 minutes; rounds 35 - 40 minutes.
6. While the cake is baking, beat 3 tablespoons of softened vegan margarine with 2 tablespoons of cashew milk and a teaspoon of vanilla. Add 1 bag of sifted vegan icing sugar and beat until smooth! If necessary add another spoonful of milk. 7. Be sure to let the cake cool before frosting.