Vegan Sausage Stew with Caraway Dumplings
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 pkg gusta sausages
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 large carrot
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1 lb snap peas
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp caraway seed (or other herb)
1. Make the dumplings by stirring the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Stir in the milk and oil. Combine with a fork until just moistened. Set aside while you make the stew.
3. Whisk together the ¼ cup of flour with 1 cup of the vegetable broth until smooth leaving no lumps, set aside.
4. In a large stew pot, heat the avocado oil over medium heat, stir fry onions, garlic and mushrooms until onions are clarified and mushrooms are soft. Add remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth and whisk in the nutritional yeast. Stir in the soy sauce, carrots, celery peas and sausage chunks.
5. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer stirring occasionally.
6. After 10 minutes add reserved vegetable broth and flour mixture.
7. Raise the heat under the pot of stew to bring it to a boil stirring until thickened.
8. Drop the dumpling mixture by tablespoon onto the stew one at a time and immediately lower heat and cover the pot without lifting the lid for 15 minutes to ensure dumplings cook through. After 10 minutes, you can turn the heat off to prevent burning but keep lid on.