Cream of Asparagus & Mushroom Soup
The beauty of this recipe is that the asparagus can be substituted with broccoli or cauliflower if asparagus isn’t your favourite.
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 3 T Avocado oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ lb of mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ lb. asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (or broccoli or cauliflower)
- ¼ cup of flour
- 2 cups of cashew milk
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
*When trimming my asparagus, I was taught to break off the tough end pieces and discard them however, I have found that though they are woody, they can be used to make broth and also thicken my soup. I put the woody ends into a small saucepan with a cup or more of vegetable broth and cook them until they are soft. Then reserve the liquid for your broth. I then lay the tough ends out on a cutting board to cool until I can handle them. If you cut them lengthwise, you can then gently scrape the softened inside flesh to add to you soup later. (This applies to broccoli too)
1. Add the flour to the cashew milk and blend until smooth and set aside. You can even add the scraped flesh from the asparagus to this make it smooth too.
2. In a heavy soup pot, add all chopped and minced vegetables and mushrooms to the 3T of oil and gently stir fry over low heat until onions have clarified, and mushrooms are cooked.
3. Add the 3 cups of vegetable broth and heat to boiling.
4. Slowly whisk in the cashew milk/flour until thickened and reduce your heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.