Vegan Chickpea Salad
Think of this chickpea salad as similar to tuna salad, but instead of tuna we use mashed chickpeas, which add mild flavour and thick texture. That combined with our vegan Aquafaba Mayo, chopped celery, fresh lemon juice, onion and lots of garlic makes for a pretty tasty combo—ideal for any summertime venture.
Enjoy this with crackers, on a bagel, in a sandwich, or in a wrap. It’s also enjoyable enough to eat on its own. The possibilities are (almost) endless.
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 1 425g can of chickpeas
- Juice of ½ lemon, plus zest if you like citrusy flavour
- 3 tablespoons of our vegan Aquafaba Mayo
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup diced dill pickle
- ¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 ½ cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp minced fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon fine fresh sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
1) In a large bowl, mash chickpeas well with a potato masher. Mash until it’s flaky in texture.
2) Stir in chopped celery, onion, pickles, peppers, vegan mayo, and garlic until well mixed.
3) Add mustard and dill, and then flavour with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Adjust the flavour as needed (more lemon for more citrus, more salt to enhance flavour, etc.) Sometimes more mustard is necessary too.
4) Serve alone with freshly toasted bread, or turn it into a sandwich with a leaf or two of lettuce. Add extra veggies like cucumber, sprouts, or tomato to make it more sandwich-y. Alternatively, enjoy alone with crackers, by the spoonful, or atop a green salad.