- 1 pound yellow onions
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups broth of chocie
- 1.5 tbsps flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3-4 baguettes slices toasted
- 1-2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- minced shallots
1. Peel onions and cut onion from top to bottom. Cut the two halves into another half.
2. Saute the onions in a pan over medium-low heat with butter. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add salt and black pepper.
3. Cook uncovered for 40 minutes over medium heat until the onions are browned and caramelized. Stir frequently to avoid sticking. If the onions are sticking too much, turn to low heat.
4. Heat up the broth in a pot.
5. Add 3 tbsp flour to caramelised onions and mix for another minute.
6. Add broth to the onions and bring to a boil with wine. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for an hour to reduce the broth.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour soups into oven-safe bowls and place a slice of baguette on top of the soup. cover it with grated cheese.
8. Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted. Then turn to broil for 2 minutes until the cheese is browned.
9. Let cool for a few minutes before serving!
© 2023 All Rights Reserved. Spud Inc.