Holiday Cranberry Tart
This tart is the perfect holiday dessert. It's fresh, not too sweet, and relatively healthy (not like desserts need to be healthy, but sometimes it's nice to sneak in extra nutrients). Dust with icing sugar and fresh mint for an aesthetically pleasing touch.
Makes one 9 inch tart. Serves 6, or a very hungry 4.
Sign In to Add Ingredients to Cart
- 4 cups cranberries (fresh or defrosted)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- Zest of ½ a lemon (make sure it’s organic and washed! Fewer pesticides)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (use GF all-purpose flour to make it gluten-free)
- ¾ cup nut flour (try almond pulp from homemade almond milk!)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces (to veganize it, use chilled vegan butter/coconut oil)
- 1 - 3 tbsp cold water
1) In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and maple syrup over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture bubbles. 2) Add cranberries and lemon zest. Stir well. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3) To prepare the dough, mix dry ingredients well (flour, nut flour, powdered sugar and salt). Cut in butter with two knives or a pastry blender. Mix until crumbly.
4) Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the dough just barely comes together in a ball. Turn it onto the counter and shape it into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
5) Unwrap and place on a lightly floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll into a 9-inch circle. Carefully transfer to a tart pan. Press dough into the pan and form a lip around the edge. Chill the prepped pan for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 F.
6) When ready to bake your prized dessert, remove the pan from the fridge and prick the bottom with a fork. This ensures your crust won’t get air bubbles. Bake it without the mix for about 10 minutes so that it gets a bit crispy.
7) Add cranberry mix. Spread out evenly, be sure to avoid getting sauce on the lip.
8) Bake for another 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and mixture bubbles.
9) Let it cool a bit, and serve when it’s still warm but not hot. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or coconut whipped cream (our favourite). Dust with icing sugar and mint for extra holiday cheer.